Friday, March 14, 2014

Burda Style 7069: The perfect interview skirt

A few months ago I decided that I should probably start thinking about what I should wear to grad school interviews.  All of the skirts that I had were more suitable for swing dancing, not formal interviews.  What a fantastic excuse for a sewing project, right?



This turned out to be the perfect interview skirt.  I love the waistband, and the fit.  It goes with so many outfits!

Pattern details:
Pattern:  Burda Style 7069
Size:  14
View:  B
Fabric:  Grey suiting, with a muslin lining.  The suiting did fray quite a bit.  Since I don't have a serger I pinked all the raw edges.  The edges have stayed clean so far!
(For reference here are my measurements:  Hips, 38".  Waist, 26".  Bust, 34")





I did end up taking in about an inch on both sides of the waistband so that it didn't stick out in the back.  I also took almost an inch in on the lower half of the back seam to add a bit more shape.  \

The pattern pieces are LONG.  I think that I cut about 6" off of the pieces, and then took a few more inches off before adding the hem.  I would hold the pieces up to your waist before you cut the fabric to test the length.  I saved quite a bit of fabric this way.
Here is the zipper.  At least the top half is invisible...


I almost always take the muslin version of a project and use it as the lining.  It is so much cheaper than buying additional fabric, and it is already made!  For this lining I chose to hem it right above the top of the slit.  This way the lining wouldn't show when I walk.

Would I make this skirt again?  Most definitely.  I am already thinking about making a tan one....  Honestly, the most challenging part of this project was getting the pattern- I have only seen Burda Style patterns on sale once.  And of course it was the week BEFORE I wanted to buy this pattern.  Whatever.  It was worth it.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a fav in the closet. Im all about breaking sewing rules (so sad since my mom taught me better :-) ) but I wonder about going strechy and getting rid of zipper for a black one? I have a skirt pattern I love and I'm always wanting it in more colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? There are sewing rules? ;) I think that using stretchy fabric would work fine, but I would make a size smaller than you usually would and get rid of the slit in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your skirt and I love Sommerfest's idea of a stretch fabric and no zipper. I have this pattern, so I am thrilled to see how nicely it sews up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're good! Wonderful job. It's hard to do invisible zippers right. Try it with an invisible zipper foot the next time. If not, then just pinning it in place and sewing over the pins might work. GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use an invisible zipper foot. I think that I just didn't iron the bottom half as well so it slid around a bit more while I was sewing. If zippers look even halfway decent then I am satisfied :)

      Delete