Friday, March 14, 2014

High Waisted Skirt...No Pattern!

Somehow I managed to stumble across this tutorial online one day.  And I decided that it would be a nice, easy Friday-afternoon-homework-avoidance-project.  Now it is one of my favorite skirts to swing dance in.

Pattern Details:
The tutorial that I used for this pattern can be found here: http://www.thisbigoaktree.com/2012/04/high-waisted-sash-skirt-tutorial.html

I bought a couple of yards of clearance cotton, and used the leftovers from the Simplicity 2442 dress for the accent color.  The tan portion of the skirt follows the directions in the tutorial.  However, before adding the zipper I made a second skirt out of leftover muslin and added a wide orange band on the bottom.  I then did a tricky all-machine-no-hand-stitching zipper insertion that left no raw edges!!
Inside of the skirt.  Yes, the muslin was almost the same color as the skirt.  But I promise this is the inside layer.

Here is the inside of the zipper.  This is the first project that I managed to pull off a fully lined zipper with no hand stitching.


This was such an easy pattern to make, and it really didn't take much fabric.  It also looks quite nice with a belt instead of a sash:



No comments:

Post a Comment