Friday, March 14, 2014

Simplicity 2442: The Casual Formal

I never attend any formal functions.  But sewing patterns for formal gowns are so enticing!  Simplicity 2442 had a most intriguing waistband, so even though it was a more formalish-type dress I decided to try it out anyway.

Ahhh, I love the way this dress turned out.  It is formal....but it isn't!


Pattern details:
Pattern:  Simplicity 2442
Size:  6
View:  C
Fabric:  Ordinary cotton, in my favorite color.
(For reference my measurements are:  Hips, 38".  Waist, 26".  Bust, 34")

Once again, I used the muslin as the lining for the dress.  If I could go back and change one thing it would be to use the orange fabric for the lining in the upper half.  If the dress is not ironed perfectly a little edge of white shows around the top.  


My favorite part of the dress is the waistband.  The texture is marvelous.




One recommendation that I would make is to have someone help you position the shoulder straps on the back of the dress while you wear it (or use a dress form).  If I recall, I was finishing this dress at around 3 AM because I was so excited to see what it looked like.  Attempting to pin the back together in a mirror did not work out too well.  I had to go back and fix them the next morning.


In summary, making formal gowns out of cheap fabric is a fantastic idea.  And if I ever really do want to make a formal out of fancy fabric this will be my first choice.

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things was to help make special dresses for people (family). That was when my kiddos were little. Now I'm running to keep up with just the kiddos. :-) I love this dress, imagine it in a silky draping material! But I love your take on it with the more cash look. Especially with long dresses in style for everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. To make it more formal, don't wear it with that top, however, and add jewelry. Having your hair in an updo and pumps (or sequined flats) with a little makeup (a tad of blush, a sweep of eyeshow and some lip tint) and your look would be perfect! Those are ONLY suggestions. You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that if I REALLY wanted a formal I would make it again in a shiny, silky fabric. There is also a version with sleeves and an interesting neckline that I want to try one day.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Do you find the neckline a bit low? I think that would be my worry with making this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wear a shirt underneath, so it isn't really an issue. It would be an easy pattern alteration to raise the neckline if you wanted.

      Delete