Saturday, March 15, 2014

Simplicity 1778: The dress that has never been worn

Now, if you are looking for something awesome to sew, don't be put off by the title of this post. This dress is one of the best things that I have ever managed to make. But seriously, where am I supposed to wear such a fantastic dress?


Pattern Details:
Pattern:  Simplicity 1778
Size:  10
View:  C
Fabric:  The biggest adjustment that I made to this pattern was to eliminate the zipper.  Instead of using the suggested fabrics I chose a black double knit, and cut out the pattern pieces one size smaller than I normally would have.  
(For reference my measurements are:  Hips, 38".  Waist, 26".  Bust, 34")






I got ridiculously excited over the texture on these front panels...


Note:  Before I cut out the front pattern pieces I added about 1.5" to the top of each section to raise the neckline a bit.  If I make this pattern again I would also think about widening the shoulder straps- especially in the front- to create a more narrow neckline.


Apart from eliminating the zipper, using knit fabric is also nice because it doesn't need any major edge finishing.  This is the only dress I have made that I have not added any lining.



This dress turned out absolutely perfect.  Now the trick is to find someplace to wear it.  Hey, it has only been in my closet for four months....any suggestions?  

8 comments:

  1. Love it! Looks like a dress my daughter wore to homecoming. Love the stretchy materials so easy to take care of and pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well for starters I like how you first choose to wear in the middle of a road! :) Great dress, you have inspired me to buy this pattern :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was actually the photographer's idea. I was rather skeptical until I saw the pictures. Let me know how your dress turns out!

      Delete
  3. I love this dress. The panels in the middle are so cool. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suggestions - dinner, drinks, crazy night out with friends or anytime you want to be oogled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't your mother ever tell you not to play in traffic?
    Or maybe your big brother told you to go play in traffic?
    This dress is a traffic stopper.
    You look wonderful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress. I think you might be about to get a lot of visitors...

    ReplyDelete